What Steps Are Involved In A Typical Furnace Tune-Up?
– Cleaning. The technician will clean any dirty internal parts or components. This could include the burners, the blower fan, the blower motor, the heat exchanger, the combustion chamber, or the jets.
– Testing the temperature differential. The technician uses this test to evaluate how warm the air is when it enters the furnace compared to how warm it is when it leaves the furnace.
– Making sure the condensate lines are clean and working correctly. Lines like these are responsible for draining off any water that is created by gas combusting in the furnace. They also are tasked with draining condensation from the air conditioner coils.
– Checking the exhaust. Through a combustion analysis, the technician will determine the amount of CO2, CO, and O2 being emitted by the system.
– Verifying that the flame sensor and ignitor are in good condition.
What Is The Average Cost Of A Furnace Tuneup?
Most reputable companies charge anywhere from about $90-$150 for a standard furnace tune-up. Think twice before signing up for a special offer from a company that is offering tune-ups for a price that is much lower than that. Usually, companies like these will try to get more money from you by recommending repairs or upgrades that you don’t really need.
How To Get The Best Value For Your Money
Take advantage of the technician’s expertise during the service visit by asking them whether or not you are using the right type of filter. The filter that you require depends a lot on your health, the style of your furnace, and the condition of your home. With so many factors to consider, there is a chance you are using the wrong type of filter, whether it is too fine to promote optimum efficiency or too porous to trap airborne particles.
This is also the perfect time to have a smart thermostat installed. By having the technician install the thermostat at the same time that they do your tune-up, you won’t have to pay for an additional service visit. Just let them know that you want a new thermostat, as well, when you schedule your tune-up. That way, they will have everything they need when they arrive.